Tuesday 14 December 2010

Lessons from a Missed Penalty

Striker versus Goalie. A very expensive striker versus a relatively new goalie ... your money would be on the striker, surely. As I was watching the highlights of last nights' match, I thought I'd knew the outcome ... they'll go two up. The striker decided to hit it as hard as he possibly could ... and  ... shot it way over the goal. 


This (huge) miss, is not going to make any difference as the team went on to win. The miss will (finally) be forgotten and no doubt the striker will one day score again. The goalie was just happy to see the ball flying miles over his goal ... no embarrassment for him this time.


This made me wonder ... how often do I miss a target? Mine may not be as much in the public eye as was this penalty in the match. But how often do I miss, be they great howlers or nearly misses  ... a miss is a miss, however you look at it. So the question remains ... how often do I miss a target?


My main target is to let my light shine before others, that they may see my good deeds and glorify my Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16) How often do I reach that goal ... how many times a day do I miss that target ... another lesson I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment