Thursday 11 October 2012

Lesson learned from friends

So here I am, updating my daily 'now that's what I call worship' Facebook profile, when there is a sudden influx of replies on the one stating a wide variety of ways to worship (as posted by our pastor). Upon re-reading it I was puzzled by the depth of reply and this in turn caused me to rethink what I (in a glance) had agreed to. The words which riled a few people was 'shout at God' and me stating 'now that's what I call worship'. A little research into the use of the language behind shouting/yelling/screaming at and/or to did not satisfy me in any way. It really looks (to me) that I have to decide for myself where I'm at on this one. I better state the context in which our pastor made the statement: 

the church are all praying hard for you guys...personally I'm excited, by what Gods got in store for you all this new season...you are all loved and worth it... that's why we are committing this month to be praying for you all...


BE INVOLVED IN ANY WAY YOU KNOW HOW...
use the shed, write a letter, read the Bible, argue with a leader, shout at God, Laugh, Cry, write a song, Paint a picture, listen to music, sit in silence, Talk, listen...I guarantee you that God will say something.
And when he does...SHARE IT WITH US...you are part of us, 
YOU ARE HEREBY INVITED TO JOIN THE DANCE.


I loved the 'be involved in any way you know how' and to be fair, some of us only know how to shout when we're at odds with the Father (or maybe we shout because we feel far away) - but shouting is a biblical principal, my limited understanding of the English language does not differentiate between the shouting to and at. Some say it's about the feeling and emotion behind it - well, that's what I call worship (using God given emotions).

My Facebook posts about worship are all made within a relational context of me and Daddy. So I am not merely having a rant and rave kinda shout at Him - I seek resolving, resolution and restoration when I am finding myself shouting at. (not sure if this is within the English language context, but I get away with it as a foreigner).

So I learned from friends, to watch what I copy and try and understand what I agree with - in this case, I have decided to continue to worship Him in (and through) everything, as learning from friends - is what I call worship too.

2 comments:

  1. I shouted at him the other day...when I had nobody else to release my anger to. I needed him to be strong for me to take my anger and pain. And he was strong enough (of course) cos he hurts when we are hurting. Am so glad I can be real with him, cos he won't punish me or be angry back or hate me for losing it. Everything we do when we pour out our soul to him...whether angry, sad, happy, joyful, is that not what he wants....all of us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks anonymous, shame you feel you have to do it 'anonymous' but thanks for posting this, appreciated. Maybe you could email me your details at erikc@talktalk.net (if not, that's ok too). God Bless ya in your shouring and discovering the depth, height and width of His love.

    ReplyDelete