Wednesday 28 December 2011

Lessons from a Newspaper article

"For at its best, Christianity is one of the world's most humane and tender of religions and deserves a better class of worshipper than many of those who lay claim to it." (Yasmin Alibhai - The Independent)

I first became aware of this great article through a friend posting a link on Facebook. I wanted to press the 'like' button, but there wasn't one. As I devoured the words Yasmin so eloquently put down, I kept looking for the 'like' button, as it is a well written article indeed. The longer the article went on, the more frustrated I got for not having a blessed 'like' button to click on (several times over).

Than it dawned on me ... is that all I do in my faith, just clicking a 'like' button, subscribing to a sermon or two, a few get -togethers with like minded people, utter the odd prayer, read the good book in times of need ... does the Jesus I profess to be my friend, saviour and king not deserve a better act of worship. I realised that in my faith, there isn't the option either to just click the 'like' button or leave a few comments here and there. My faith has to be a 24/7 type thing, otherwise it doesn't truly work. 

So here's to 2012, a year to have a more active faith, a faith that makes others sit up and take notice, a faith that makes an impact - as Yasmin (a Muslim herself) said near the end of her article, to  remind people of Christ who came to save them, a child born to asylum-seekers, the poor, helpless and "alien": all those embraced by Jesus Christ in His time. Wow, another lesson learned, all through a newspaper and the lack of a 'like' button. Wondering what lessons await me in the next year ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment